Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gap Year


So lately I have been thinking about the rest of my life/ my major. I really thought I knew what I wanted, but now I'm REALLY not sure. I mean I'm not still deciding between dancer, or singer as I did when I was a child. I know I want to be a teacher/ work with children. Partly because that’s what I love to do, and partly because that is what my blessing tells me I should/ will do. I'm just now not sure what age to teach, or when I'm going to be teaching, or if I should also start my own preschool

. And all these things are kind of important in picking my major. I'm currently declared as an early childhood education major. Which allows me to do several things, special education, preschool, k-3rd, and work in child services (I'm thinking like social service,not really sure). I could also get an Elementary education major, and be able to teach any grades before high school. Or I could do this really funky major that is kind of hard to explain, and have little to

no job security. But hey my husband is supposed to be the provider right, haha jk.

Anyways this is all leading me to my new dilemma. Should I take a year off, or as this article my mother cut out for me a

"Gap Year". I'm kind of frightened by the idea, of going to a foreign country to work/ teach English is the plan right now. But I also think I would love it. I'm now just not sure about timing. Now is probably the best time, but its a little late. So do I defer at BYU-Idaho and skip winter and spring semesters, or do I wait yet another year till next fall term. Hmm. So I don't like making decisions in case you did not notice. But I do like thinking about possibilities. I’m thinking teaching English in Spain, or nannying in France. Or maybe I could just make my own study abroad program and just travel around the Greek islands, and maybe meet my own Kostas. Well tell me what you think, should I take time away from school to figure things out? And if so, what should I do?

HELP!


3 comments:

  1. homie, no way can i help you make this decision. It's way too tricky. this is like that thing we talked about, how we're too much alike so our problems are too hard to solve. haha. anyway I think a year off would be an amazing experience but if I was you I would worry about getting too far off track. but I don't know what to tell you, I'll love you no matter what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camden, that was no help! haha jk. I'm not worried about like getting so off track, as I am worried I just wont get married, if I keep leaving school. But thats probably just a freak fear. haha I guess I can go discover myself, and then someone will want to marry me. So I'm thinking it would be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't you only defer one semester? Also your fear is correct but in a year you will be 20....you aren't considered un-marriagable until you are at least 24 I feel. So that gives you 4 years to get on it. :)

    ReplyDelete